poslfit Software Archive
This is where I gather software that I’ve written that people have asked
for. If you’re looking for something that isn't here (this is just
the small tip of an iceberg of Scrabble, web design/management,
mathematical and Unix software), e-mail me at
If you haven't configured your browser to download Perl files correctly,
some of these files may be garbled. You can also download copies of these
files that are identified as text files, and then rename them:
- A Perl script that compares the Elo ratings computed by ratings2.pl with those found in an NSA cross-table.
- A C program that makes a JPEG "contact sheet" of thumbnail images out of a collection of JPEG files.
- A Perl library for working with dawg files, as generated by
Graham Toal's package posted to alt.sources.
- A tiny Perl script for listing the dictionary definitions that come with
the HASBRO SCRABBLE(R) CD-ROM.
- A Perl script that tags text according to the dictionary in which its
words can be found. Dictionaries not included.
- A Perl script that probes a host for TCP servers.
- genea.pl and genea2.pl
- Genealogy Perl scripts.
- A Perl script that creates a hierarchical listing of a web site.
- A PHP script that changes its background colour using RGB and HSB controls, useful for colour-matching. To download the script, change .php to .txt.
- A Perl script that I use to browse only the interesting bits of an RFC 822 message (no HTML, no weird headers).
- A Perl script that converts a mail message to HTML.
- A Perl script that sends macro-expanded (mail merge) e-mail using Net::SMTP or sendmail. Use perlpod to read documentation embedded in the script.
- A Perl script that generates round-robin pairings tables based on a partially filled-in grid (i.e., a script that completes partial Latin squares).
- A Perl script that lists a Nethack high score list from the monsters' point of view.
- A Perl script that analyses a Maven simulation log.
- A Perl script that calculates NSA tournament performance ratings.
- A Perl script that does NSA SSLs.
- A Perl library for manipulating NSA-style Elo ratings. Now part of the tsh distribution.
- A library supplementary to ratings.pl. Now part of the tsh distribution.
- A Perl script for performing backup mirrors (copies resource forks under OS/X).
- A flexible quiz script written in Perl, tested on Macs, DOS and Unix
systems, suitable for Scrabble word lists
- A Mac OS/X iSync 2.3 plugin to let you use BlueTooth to connect your Sony Ericsson K510 (K510a, K510c, K510i) cellphone to your Mac and synchronize its contacts list to your address book.
- tsh (tournament shell), a Perl script that I use to run Scrabble tournaments. Updated with new features after each tournament.
- A Perl script for producing NSA tournament reports. Is no longer distributed separately but is part of the tsh distribution.
- Update Currency Rates
- An OS X (Perl) script to correctly update the currency rates in OS X's Calculator application. As of early 2007, the "Update Currency Rates" button in the Calculator application is broken, and deletes most exchange rate information from the calculator when run. This is because of a problem with the exchange rate data source, which this script avoid by using the PACIFIC Exchange Rate Service". Partially localized for French, German and Japanese.
- A C program for calculating SCRABBLE® word probabilities.
- A Perl script for converting NSA cross-tables to tourney.pl .t files.